National Certified School Nurse Registration
Have you considered becoming a Nationally Certified School Nurse (NCSN)? Now is the time!
NCSN exam registration is now open and closes February 5, 2020 at 4:00 PM Eastern Time. The Spring testing window is March 5 - 18, 2020.
To take the certification exam, eligible applicants must:
- Submit a copy of their license as a registered nurse (RN) in one of the United States.
- Submit an academic transcript or proof of current certification, demonstrating attainment of one the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in nursing or the equivalent in other countries
- Current certification by NBCSN as an NCSN.
- Meet the clinical practice requirements of a minimum of 1000 hours that have been worked within te three years prior to taking the test. 1000 hours is roughly equivalent to the hours worked by a full-time school nurse who works at least 6 hours/day for a school year of 180 days documented by a not on letterhead from your supervisor or district official.
- Complete the online application to take the certification examination for school nurses.
- Pay the required nonrefundable application fee - $360.00
You can find more information about national certification at the National Board for Certification of School Nurses website here.
If you are interested in joining a study group, the next NCSN certification online study group will begin on Friday, January 31, 2020!
Go to the NASN school nurse website here, sign in and at the top of the page, click on SchoolNurseNet >Communities >All Communities and scroll down to find the National Certification Exam Candidates community and join. You will be able to connect with many school nurses who are preparing to take the exam.